Thursday, March 09, 2006

Bakersfield Inn

I got a major project completed and started getting caught up on my blog reading. Blackdog had an old picture of the Bakersfield Inn up and was wondering if the sign was white. Several people commented but none seemed to know the story. I guess Im old but here's what I do know.
Bakersfield Inn


I am old enough and yes it was white along with the rest of the Inn. In fact the main building on the west side burnt in the early 60s. Later that awful looking west building was built and the west side of the bridge was then held up by that scrawny little tower that really didn't match the rest.

I remember it well because my grandparents lived in the Casa Loma neighborhood just east of the fairgrounds. We drove under that sign many, many times. Speaking of the end when I was about four I asked my parents if that was where Bakersfield ended - at that sign - because somehow I always thought they were saying Bakersfield end. Maybe I wasn't too bright at four.

<=========================================================> 

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for clearing the air on the color of the sign.

2:59 PM, March 09, 2006  
Blogger Bake Town said...

Wow - that's cool. Thanks!

10:26 AM, March 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home