Thursday, May 31, 2007

100 Words

I must be catching up - two in one day.

100 Words every high school graduate should know.
http://www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/
booksellers/press_release/100words/


Now I think I'm pretty good at vocabulary - partly because I'm a crossword nut and the rest because I'm a snobbish pseudo intellectual geek. It's a good list but truth is about 5-10% of them completely threw me. Ziggurat??? (my spell check doesn't know that one either). And about another 10% I had heard but honestly didn't really know the definition.

I'm also betting most high schoolers, even those in honor classes won't get 50% of them. They should, but knowing a lot of them, including my own, I have my doubts.

I'd love some feedback on this one.

<=========================================================> 

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There were plenty of them that I didn't know or hadn't even heard of. I guess they don't teach those words at Stockdale OR at CSUB. Maybe they aren't taught because no one fucking uses them.

8:39 PM, May 31, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everybody needs to know ziggurat because ancient mesopotamian culture is sooooo important. Our kids need to know all about ziggurats, probably more than they need to know about America.

1:41 PM, June 02, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home