Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The Good Stuff

I mentioned a bad experience with BK a couple of days ago (and it was bad). Just so you don't think all I do is bitch and moan (quit laughing) lets cover some good food.

First I love food. My waist line proves it. So what are good choices. Bakersfield has gotten so big there is no way to try it all anymore.

Basque - what else?. Woolgrowers, Noriegas Pyrenees and Benjis are all good. WG has become a bit of a victim of it's own success. Too long waits, too high prices but the food is still outstanding. Pyrenees very good but a little uneven at times. In summer the dining room can just cook you. Noriegas, I love the food, not everyone does as sometime they get too authentic for American tastes but I come from an Italian family so bring it on. Some people don't like the border tables(shared) but I do. I almost always meet people I can share stories and acquaintances with, but that's just the way I am. Benjis I've really started to like. Love the tongue with that thick sauce.

Speaking of Italian. Luigis. Great food but like WG sort of a victim of it's success. Saturdays and the burgers are the best. Great fun to sit in the bar. It's not like it was in the old days with Tula and Louie to entertain you but honestly the food has just gotten better. Caeser's Deli for wonderful sandwiches and the best tongue, tastes just like grandma used to make (but mama mia, the price. $11 a pound now but worth it).

Mexican food. Tough call. Mexicalli always good, and El Sombrero for the basics. La Colonina and La Tapatia are good. My favorite is still The Red Pepper. There are so many in town and it's rough to get people to agree, everyone is sure they know the best.

Now my newest recommendation. I love Mediterranean food. Cafe Med always great but ouch. Many years ago a fellow named Saul Herosh (???) had a series of places here. He was a strange and shady character but man his food was great. Falafel and kabobs, shaslik and stuff I don't even remember. He was an Israeli, loud and somewhat obnoxious, stereotypical med type but he seemed have to a fire problem at his restaurants. So now, The Flame and Skewer at 24th and L comes along. Better than any I've had in a long, long time. The lamb kabob sandwich is absolutely the best (med-rare please - never over cook lamb. one of my rare complaints of Basque places). I've only been a couple of times so I haven't tried a lot of the things but I have very high hopes. I'm not too sure of the nationality of the people that run it, not that I care, just curious. Maybe Turks. No matter. Support them so I can keep going back.

<=========================================================> 

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Casers has the best tongue by far, that almost sounds kinda weird but I love that stuff. What about Chalet on oak? The last time I was there I thought it held up pretty well its not woolgrowers but then again no one can hold a candle to that place.

What about sushi? like it yes or no? And if you like it where do you go?

1:09 PM, August 11, 2006  
Blogger Prof Frink said...

Haven't been to Chalet in a long time (years).
Not much on sushi. Seafood is usually shrimp, scampi hmmmmm...... Oh and I can always go for fish and chips at Westchester Bowl.

1:50 PM, August 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home